Director of Communications
Michael Reese President
Full time, non-exempt
The Michael Reese Health Trust is seeking a Director of Communications who will be responsible for promoting the strategic initiatives of Michael Reese and management of the organization’s brand. Reporting to the President and CEO, this position will increase public awareness and build the Foundation’s position through targeted communications to donors, grantees, not for profit partners, other foundations, board members, elected officials and community leaders and the media.This is an opportunity to build a newly created department for a foundation that has recently become public with the goal of connecting donors to our work and fostering community partnerships. We seek a Communications Director who is enthusiastic at the prospect of spearheading a robust communications program from the ground up. The ideal candidate understands that a successful communications program will further all of Michael Reese’s organization-wide goals, including and especially the need to increase fundraising opportunities. As such, this position will include some donor development and fundraising support and will work alongside the president to increase awareness of the organization’s mission, impact, and resourcing needs.
- Work with the leadership to establish and execute marketing and communication strategy, needs for key initiatives and programs.
- Manage and/or support all public communications including newsletters, social media and white papers.
- Maintain a solid contact relationship management system using the established foundation systems.
- In collaboration with the Grantmaking Team, President, and Communications Consultant, create and execute a strategic social media plan to promote Michael Reese projects and grantmaking work.
- Oversee and manage website. This includes monitoring website traffic, making updates and changes as needed, authoring blog posts and calendar events in partnership with the leadership and grantmaking team and updating design.
- Oversee the marketing of special events and ensure communications bolster donor outreach efforts.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a Michael Reese promotional video.
- Cultivate relationships with area papers in Chicago and facilitate the publication of Michael Reese thought leadership in those outlets and relevant trade publications.
- Write and distribute press releases about events, policy initiatives, and grantee accomplishments.
- Maintain an archive of all press mentions.
- Act as an in-house journalist interviewing partners, staff, grantees and communities to collect and write impact stories for publication and dissemination.
- Prepare content/materials for external meetings and speaking engagements. research briefings, speeches, talking points, etc.
- A self-directed problem solver with the skills and insight to help Michael Reese identify communication needs and challenges and develop creative solutions.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills are required.
- Must be thorough and detail‐oriented within a big‐picture, vision‐oriented framework.
- Proven track record in having successfully built a communication or development department with another not-for-profit organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, Marketing or related field.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience with demonstrated success in designing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns.
- Persuasive writer and storyteller
- A digital native with professional experience across the technology landscape with the following experiences as a plus: proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, social media, content development, Raiser’s Edge, and data analysis, WordPress, and video production.
- Ability to build trusted relationships and be an effective ambassador for Michael Reese among diverse constituent groups
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an inspiring, engaging, hopeful, and professional tone
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in-person
- A demonstrated commitment to Michael Reese’s mission and values
- A willingness to work additional hours beyond regular business hours
- Smart phone is required.
- Spanish language skills are a plus.
- Car is not required but license to drive preferred.
- $100,000 plus, commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits are available, including health insurance (medical/dental/vision), life insurance, earned paid time off (PTO) and retirement savings.
Michael Reese is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or marital status. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, termination, promotion, transfer, layoff, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- Combine a cover letter, resume, and writing sample (two to four pages in length) into a PDF file titled Applicantlastname-Applicantfirstname.Date (i.e., the date the file is sent) and send to: Cbowman@wearemichaelreese.org
- Please be sure to write “Director of Communications Application 2020” in the subject line so that your application will be directed appropriately.
- No phone calls please.
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.