Who we are:
Michael Reese Health Trust’s mission is to advance equitable access to health solutions for all Chicagoans.
The recent ruling by the Supreme Court violates our core values by restricting access to reproductive health care for millions of people across the country, particularly populations we serve.
- In reproductive justice*.
- That all women have the ability to determine their future.
- That women know what’s at stake in deciding whether to bear a child or not.
- That the decision to have or not have children ought to be between a woman and her health care provider.
*Reproductive justice is defined as “the human right to maintain personal bodily autonomy, have children, not have children, and parent the children we have in safe and sustainable communities.”
We will support and advocate for:
- The protection of Illinois as a pro-choice state.
- The protection of reproductive rights in Illinois.
- The protection of privacy of medical records for out-of-state clients.
- Women in prohibition states who seek care.
- Expansion of reproductive care and the associated workforce in pro-choice states.
- Laws that prevent local agencies in pro-choice states from cooperating with out-of-state abortion prosecutions.
We will advocate against:
- Limiting care to any pregnant woman.
- Laws charging women or providers with murder after a pregnancy loss.
- Any action that criminalizes a woman’s choice to engage in travel or work or any activity that is alleged to create a risk to her pregnancy.