Chief Financial and Chief Operations Officer
Michael Reese Health Trust seeks a highly skilled Chief Financial and Operations Officer (CFO/COO). This position requires a person who seeks to be a part of a collaborative, motivated team working to ensure all Chicagoans can live healthy lives.
This position will manage all aspects of the foundation’s Finance and Operations Department, including accounting, audit, investment, taxes, finance-related board committees and related operational and administrative functions. The ideal candidate will be highly organized, experienced in all areas of finance, technologically proficient, detail-oriented and able to manage core finance duties while leading change. This position will be supported by appropriate external services for transactions requiring outside controls, audit, investment and tax preparation, legal counsel and information technology, as well as a strong, collaborative internal management team and a full-time finance and administrative assistant.
Who We Are
Michael Reese incubates, strengthens and advocates for health solutions to ensure all Chicagoans can live healthy lives. We partner with organizations across Chicago by providing grant funding and advisory support to advance their work through our Incubation, Grantmaking and Advocacy programs. We carry on the values of the Michael Reese Hospital to provide quality, compassionate and accessible health solutions to Chicago. To learn more about our programs and current priorities, please visit wearemichaelreese.org.
• Build a mission-driven budget through broadly engaging staff members in the strategic decision-making process, effectively communicating budget priorities to diverse stakeholders, including the Board and the program staff. Focus areas include grant making, operating expenses, capital and cash. Monitor actual performance and reforecast as necessary. Develop and maintain planning and budgeting tools and analysis.
• Maintain accurate monthly accounting close including maintenance of financial systems and reporting tools as well as appropriate supporting documentation.
• Prepare accurate and meaningful financial reports including monthly reports with narrative to leadership team, quarterly Board reports and government filings.
• Monitor, reconcile and report investment gains/losses and fund balances.
• Supervise the banking relationships and function.
• Coordinate annual external audit and preparation of financial statement report with footnotes.
• Work with outside tax preparers to prepare and file annual tax return (Form 990); calculate and remit estimated quarterly tax deposits; monitor foundation’s compliance with tax regulations to maintain exempt status.
• Serve as plan administrator for foundation’s 403(b) retirement plan, including annual tax return, legal (ERISA) and tax compliance, benefit contributions, participant communication.
• With senior leadership, responsible for effective and efficient internal controls to safeguard the foundation’s assets, minimize financial risk and maintain the foundation’s tax-exempt status. Includes review and approval of financial obligations (i.e., contracts, grant agreements) and transactions (disbursements, grants, investments).
• Work closely with the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors to support their governance responsibilities. Prepare and present financial reports and narrative to the Board of Directors; proactively identify matters for consideration.
• Evaluate and maintain the foundation’s business insurance policies, including property and risk.
• Track incubation financial transactions and work closely with incubation team to ensure appropriate cash flow to support program needs.
• Work closely with the fundraising team to reconcile finance and fundraising records, ensure the appropriate allocation of charitable gifts and track trust and estate corpuses and available fund balances.
• Manage banking, investment, information technology, accounting, retirement plan, insurance, audit, tax preparation and other key vendor relationships including. contract fulfillment, compliance procedures (such as annual census) and access to online portals.
• Maintain and ensure compliance with the Chart of Accounts.
• Maintain, develop, document, provide training and continually improve IT security and risk management procedures, including the protection of grantee banking information.
• A CPA, MBA or advanced degree in a relevant field is preferred with at least ten years of accounting/finance experience in a foundation leadership role.
• Thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and accounting for investments.
• Understanding of IRS regulations related to foundations, philanthropic practices and non-profit law.
• Previous experience and responsibility for budgets and forecasts, financial reporting, financial analysis, cash management and tax.
• Previous hands-on experience with accounting system software is required. Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics, Great Plains and / or Financial Edge is a plus.
• Ability to utilize data to inform decision-making and narrative change.
• Ability to communicate financial data to others who may lack a finance background.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strategic, analytical problem solver, who identifies and leverages resources.
• Knowledge of, and high comfort level with, computer software systems: PowerPoint, Excel, video conferencing.
• This is a full-time position based in Chicago.
• Our team currently is fully remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will resume in-office work in or near downtown Chicago.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and use hands to operate office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets.
• Workplace is a smoke-free and drug-free environment.
• Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Michael Reese. Employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
• Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent employee benefits.
• Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, using Your Name as the subject line.
• In the cover letter, please include how your skills and experience meet the responsibilities noted above, your salary range requirement and where you learned of the open position.
• Add your Last Name to the front of the cover letter and resume file name.
• No phone calls please.
• For additional information visit our website: https://wearemichaelreese.org
Chief Financial and Chief Operations Officer